Welcome one and all to my beach hut

Grab a deck chair, Tea or coffee and help yourself to a buiscuit but you'd better mind the seaguls or they'll grab them first. Just look at that view and doesn't the sea look inviting.

Sunday, 3 April 2011

Daffodills

On Saturday morning because it was nice and we felt like a change we went for a drive to a Horncastle which is on the way to Lincoln. On the way we spotted a small hamlet of cottages near where you turn off to Harrington Hall and we had to pull over for a minute or two, because all around us was a mass of Daffodils. They were growing along the road edge and up the drives to the front doors of the few properties that were around. The scene was so lovely. I was reminded of it tonight when Mike posted the poem by Wordsworth in the comments section of yesterdays post (Thanks Mike). Wordsworth was out for a stroll with his sister Dorothy when he saw the masses of Daffodils that was to inspire him to write that much loved poem. It was a blustery day and the Daffodils swaying in the wind reminded him of a sea scene. Daffodils have always been our favourite flowers and Wordsworth’s tale one of my favourite poems.

Daffodils

I wondered Lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth



No comments:

Post a Comment