Welcome one and all to my beach hut

Grab a deck chair, Tea or coffee and help yourself to a buiscuit but you'd better mind the seaguls or they'll grab them first. Just look at that view and doesn't the sea look inviting.

Saturday, 30 April 2011

The Royal Wedding

How to get the most out of a Royal Wedding. There are many who totally ignored all that goes on revolving around the wedding, that is there choice but its not one I would make, for as long as I can remember I have always sought to enjoy the occasion whether it be a Royal Wedding or a special days celebrations for our Queen.
There are many ways to get involved but I want to discuss the main 3 in my opinion in this section. The best way to get involved many would say is to be actually a part of it, by lining the route of the wedding or to be at a main point of the procedures such as Westminster Abbey or Buckingham palace, you are sure to have an experience that you will never forget. If there is one thing that we in this country can do better than anywhere in the world is to put on royal ceremony, we excel at the pomp and circumstance of such an occasion that will be witnessed all over the world with envy. If you’re unable to actually be there the next best thing is to view it on the television preferably with other people.
Another way you can enjoy the day is to go to an organised event. I visited the Great British Beer Festival and Royal Wedding event at the newly re-opened Village at Church Farm Museum in Skegness where I was able to watch the wedding ceremony with others on a large screen, as I watched my mind went back to 1953, I was  6 at the time and I was gathered around a small black and white screen in an aunt of mines house along with 20 others because she was one of only a few in her street who actually owned a TV in those days, I cant recall much of the proceedings because I was much to excited about playing with the other children that the neighbours had brought along but I can recall the splendour of the Coronation coach as it travelled up the mall. Like all things the more effort you put into a special occasion the more you will get out of it, as you can see from the photo above I decorated my mobility scooter with union jacks to bring some colour to the occasion and to fit in with the surroundings, a good event will have a lot of things happening at the same time and for those not wanting to watch all the proceeding on the large screen there was the BBQ, the Skegness Silver Band and the beers that were on sale, and speaking for myself I had a really good afternoons entertainment.
Perhaps the best way to celebrate an occasion like a royal wedding is the Community based street party, we were very lucky to have been invited to one such gathering in the street where until just recently we resided. Again my memory goes back to 1953 and the street party to celebrate the Coronation of our present Queen. It was something I will never forget. We has a country were still recovering from WW2 and we were very poor but that didn’t stop the community in pulling together to decorate every house in the street and providing food like as such we had never seen before, I remember being frightened by the sound of the big base drum in the marching band that led the parade and the games and races us kids all joined in with, it was truly a memorable day. Yesterdays street party was just as good with proud parents watching there children taking part in the traditional egg and spoon and sack races and the older age group gathered around remembering when thier children were that young and enjoying the fancy dress parade and the games and everyone enjoyed and singing along with the jazz band providing the days music. A street party gives the opportunity for conversations with neighbours that are seldom have in our busy modern life and it will often provide us with memories that will stay with us for a long time.
I feel the daily tabloids did a lot of arm by overstating the difficulties of organising a present day street party which I believe put many communities off from arranging one. But the one I visited yesterday proved that not only was it still possible but also they can be just as memorable and enjoyable as ever, it was a delight to see the children taking part in the fancy dress and the games we used to play at street parties when we were their age and just to witness the a community so different from the past can still rally round and have fun together, I do hope that in future people won’t be put off from organising what is still the best way to celebrate a special occasion.

1 comment:

  1. Good post and very interesting, just one question ... are you in the hells angels lol, good blogging mate.

    ReplyDelete