Welcome one and all to my beach hut

Grab a deck chair, Tea or coffee and help yourself to a buiscuit but you'd better mind the seaguls or they'll grab them first. Just look at that view and doesn't the sea look inviting.

Monday, 17 October 2011

Letter to my 16 year old self

It was someone on my Facebook page that first raised the question and it now seems someone has written a book around this same question. The question is “If you could write a letter to your 16 year old self and send it back in time, what advice would you give yourself? It is often said that youth and wisdom don’t go together and if I’m honest in my case that is very true. We all have said “if I knew then what I know now I’d have done things differently”. So it got me thinking, if I could send a letter back to me at the age of 16 what would I tell myself.

Firstly I wouldn’t want to make to many changes, on the whole I’m happy with my lot now, yes I’ve made many mistakes but haven’t we all and they say you learn by your mistakes, I have not made a lot of money but money can’t buy happiness and contentment, having said that, a little always helps. No I think the things I would pass back to my 16 year old self are the kind of things I couldn’t possibly have known then but if I had would have made life simpler.

I was born in 1947 so that would make me 16 in 1963, I had been at work for a year, The Beatles were just starting out on the road to stardom, young people of my age had more money to spend, jobs were easy to find, there was a fear that we were all going to be blown up by a nuclear bomb any day and youth were starting to rebel against authority and we were singing Who songs about our generation and “ hope I die before I get old. So what advice would I have given to my 16 year old self?

First off I would have advised myself to buy Beatles records, photos, tour programmes and any other items I could get my hands on and then Get John, Paul, George and Ringo to sign them where ever possible and then to store them away for a few years. Beatles memorabilia is fetching unbelievable prices today, Matchbox models of the Yellow submarine on sale for a few shillings are going for £100, signed photos or LP’s are going for £500+ each and if all four have signed you could be talking in the Thousands.

Don’t get hooked on watching Coronation Street you will never see the end of it lol.

Make the most of the 66 Football World Cup win because it’s very unlikely you’ll see it happen again.

Don’t buy a bet Amax video recorder in a few years time because you’ll be wasting your money.

If you are able to get any money together in a few years, put it in real estate, buy a few houses cheap do them up.

Take driving lessons whilst you can still afford them and pass your test.

Be choosy about the job you are going for, believe in yourself and don’t let anyone talk you into taking a lesser job. If possible get into the banking business.

Forget about going on Ban the Bomb marches.

Don’t rush into falling in love and settling down, you won’t be left on the shelf if your not wed by twenty, enjoy a bit of life first. You may still make a big mistake with your first marriage but don’t let anyone drive a wedge between yourself and your children.

Liston more to what your elders say, believe me when I say they DO know what they are talking about, they have been where you are too and you will one day be there age and then you’ll be writing this letter instead of me.

Just a few of the things I would advise myself about if I had the opportunity of sending a letter back in time to my 16 year old self. Would if have made any difference? I very much doubt it lol.

Oh and here’s some advice from the celebrities to their 16 year old selves.

TV presenter and comedian Jonathan Ross told his young self to “stop worrying about the opinion of others and be yourself,” and offered this reassurance: “You will eventually lose your virginity and go to Disneyworld (though not on the same day).” Debbie Harry said, “go for it girl… Dreams Do Come True. Keep Dreaming.” I particularly liked the contribution from Emma Thompson, who wrote, “Don’t EVER EVER EVER bother to go on a diet… Just be you & get on with it, I cannot tell you how much time & energy you’ll save & how much happier you’ll be.”

1 comment: